The Laughlin House 211 103 St. Stone Harbor, NJ 08247
 
MORE INFORMATION ON OUR HOME
You Will Find Us Recommended On The Following...

Nearby

Enjoy Your Next Vacation At The Laughlin House!

The Laughlin Family offers this home to guests for only 22 weeks of each year during the spring, summer, and fall seasons.

The Laughlin House Island Mansion offers guests 24 rooms and 5000 square feet of living space and includes:
8 bedrooms, 4.5 bathrooms, Heated Outdoor shower, Central Air Conditioning, 3 Kitchens, 2 Laundry rooms, 2 outdoor patios, 2 Sunrooms, an Arcade Gameroom amoung many other amenities too numerous to list here.


If you are interested in reserving the home, please contact us through one of the links that are labeled as: "LISTING" in the "Informational Links" section of the right hand menu or email LaughlinManorhouse@gmail.com for more information regarding a specific request for information.

There was an error in this gadget

The Laughlin House History

The Laughlin House is located at 211 103rd Street, Stone Harbor, NJ 08247. The 24-room, 2-story, 5,000 square foot red-brick house is a colonial-styled mansion that sits on a 95’ X 110’ oversized lot and is located at 211 103rd Street in Stone Harbor, N.J.

Originally, designed by Helen Vogdes Laughlin, the house was built for her by , John S. Laughlin. The house was the largest private home built in Stone Harbor at the time and upon completion was quickly and unofficially nicknamed the “Little Borough Hall” by the local residents for its similarities in design to the local government building, which is located on 95th Street and 2nd Ave and was compared to “montecello” by Mr. Laughlin’s own mother upon first seeing the completed structure.

In the homes 50-plus years of existence, this home has extrinsically served Stone Harbor as one of the few remaining staples in the islands ever changing landscape, it has provided a destination for 53 years of summer vacationing families, it has survived countless storms (including both hurricanes and nor’easters). And as well as has intrinsically provided 4 separate generations of the Laughlin family both an Island home, a source of pride, and a visual reminder of their heritage. In 1953 John and Helen bought the land on 103rd Street prior to building the house in 1956. The original plans for Laughlin House were first presented to the Board of Tenement Housing in 1955 Helen Laughlin’s plans to split the completed building into 3 parts during each summer so they could separate the structure each summer to provide lodging to weekly vacationers during the summers.


The combination of the unique Tri-plex styled floor plan design combined with the sheer size of the completed structure has always caused quite a stir with the local residents and originally with the town’s zoning board. To this end, the first draft of plans (submitted in 1954) were rejected on two separate occasions by the town when they were brought before the zoning board before eventually being approved on April 27th, 1956. Upon completion of its construction in early spring in 1957 when the completion of the building attracted visitors to the neighborhood who would stand in front of the house and have their picture taken during their summer visit.